Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Kiss My Ass, Cancer!

Okay, this is Sarah's Mom; for those of you who don't know me, I never use that kind of language.  But today, I am.  I hope you don't mind.
While Sarah was at home for a short time, she received the most wonderful gift from her sorority sisters: an album full of supportive notes and good wishes.  Sarah and I cried and laughed reading each one.  One of my favorites says: "Kiss My Ass! said Sarah to cancer."  We dried our tears and chuckled over that one.
On Thursday, Sarah had to repeat the bone marrow biopsy and the lumbar puncture.  Unfortunately, she developed a spinal headache from the spinal tap; that means she had debilitating migraines when she sat up or stood. Coming back to Loyola on Monday, she needed meds to help her handle the pain.  Then, we got the results from Thursday's procedures.
Unfortunately, Sarah's type of leukemia is stubborn and we learned that the cancer did not go into remission.  Yet.  So they immediately began round two of chemo, using a new, stronger regimen.  So far, she has tolerated this new chemo pretty well, all things considered.  The headaches persist, and she feels very tired. 
Kiss my ass, cancer, says Mrs. Wielgos to cancer!
That said, let me change gears and share a blessing we received yesterday.  Sarah was in the throes of a migraine, temporarily assigned a shared room in a section of the peds floor with constant beeping and noise--not a good situation.  It was painful for Sarah physically and emotionally.  And the Lord found a way to be present to us.  Into the noisy room walked a chaplain we had never seen before, offering to pray with us and for us, and offering us Christ's presence in the Eucharist.  Blessings--even amid chaos.
Please continue to pray for my girl: one tough cookie, one tough fighter.  And God is good.

5 comments:

  1. I had to laugh out loud at this. When I saw the title I thought, "funny- that doesn't sound like Sarah" and then when I saw it was Suzanne, I thought "that ~really~ doesn't sound like Suzanne!" I get it though- if anything deserves the occasional harsh word or two, it's cancer.

    Each day is one step closer- you can do this! You are doing it!

    I think when this is all over, your whole family deserves a trip to Disneyland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers coming from SLU!

    Rachel K. (Campus Minister)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah! More prayers coming from SLU! Although I dunno if you'll remember me, we met walking to BSC the weekend before your rush/pledge weekend. You were so excited to take on that weekend. I spoke to you because you exuded confidence in every step you took, and once we started chatting, you realized we had a mutual friend Jason G, who has kept me informed of your situation and now shared your blog with me. You are such an outgoing girl, I know that whatever career path you choose, you will be helpful and outgoing to all who cross your path. Today, my baby girl celebrates her 16th birthday, and I'm so thankful that I have this sweet girl in my life, just as I'm sure your mama is blessed by you and your sibs. Take care and looking forward to seeing you back on campus, and next time we run into one another, I'll buy Starbucks, at the new flying saucer Starbucks, which is totally awesome. Prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patti!! I apologize it's taken me MONTHS to reply to this, but I've been horrible at replying to people; I learned early on that keeping up with facebook, blog, email, etc. is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE, as much as I wish I had the stamina and time to reply to everyone. :( However, I DEFINITELY do remember you, and I remember that exact conversation!! Thank you SO much for your kind words, they mean more than you know. I would love coffee after this is all over...hopefully by next school year as long as everything goes as planned!

      Thank you again for the support and encouragement, and tell Jason I said hello and I'm thinking about him and everyone else at SLU!

      Delete
  4. Doctors generally treat cancer of the gallbladder that has come back (recurred) in the same way as stage 3 or 4 gallbladder cancer. But your treatment will depend on whether you have had radisrgery in the past. And on where your cancer has come back. There is a maximum amount of radiotherapy that you can have to any one part of your body. If you have too much it can cause damage to healthy body tissues. So if you have had radiotherapy before, you may not be able to have it again. Gallbladder Cancer Symptoms

    ReplyDelete