Thursday, October 4, 2012

Finally...I'm Back!!

Hellooooo, my beautiful family, friends, and supporters!!

I am finally feeling up to writing another post. Thanks to my Mommy for keeping everyone in the loop when I wasn't feeling so hot. However, today has been a good day and things are looking up in general! After the colitis that my Mom blogged about (some bacteria got caught in my large intestine, so I had to be on strong antibiotics and go without eating and drinking for 3 days), I have slowly started getting my tummy back to a normal diet, and now that the chemo is done for a little bit, my appetite is coming back as well! My favorite thing to eat right now? Chocolate! I still have a HUGE sweet tooth like I always have and I am loving a candy bar or brownie here and there. :) It feels so good to start wanting to eat again, and now that I am not on chemo and able to drink liquids, I also get to be disconnected from my annoying IV pole! MORE good news: aside from some painful side effects and having to be on some pain meds still, I am feeling really good physically. I have more energy and feel stronger than I have since my chemo started! It's funny how this experience is making me appreciate the little things in life: being able to eat again, going to the bathroom by myself, and not dragging an IV pole around with me are making me really happy and positive! I am learning not to take the little things for granted, and I see that lesson as a blessing.

On a not-so-happy note, I woke up this morning to hair on my pillow. Yes, it's finally begun to fall out. Because my hair is so thick it still looks like I have a full head of hair, but I can tell that it's thinner. When I run my fingers through my hair (and if you've ever spent much time with me, you know it's a horrible habit of mine! :)) they come out with a little chunk of hair. I've just been keeping a garbage can next to my bed so I don't have to look at it for too long. I have been really coming to terms with the fact that I am going to be bald soon, and I'm surprisingly not too upset about it. I told my Mom the other morning when we were talking about it, "I'm willing to do whatever it takes to fight, and if being bald for a little while is what it takes, I'm totally up for it." I have some really cute Chicago cubbie hats already and I'm planning on getting some pretty scarves to wear as well. The people that really matter in my life have already assured me that bald is going to be beautiful on me, and I trust them and agree with them. In my opinion, beauty is all about your attitude; the way you hold yourself, a genuine smile on your face, and eyes that care about the world around you. I've always believed that beauty is not in physical appearance, and losing my hair is going to be the ultimate testimony to that philosophy! It will be hard to get used to looking in the mirror and not seeing my thick head of hair staring back. But you know what I will see? The same beautiful face and bright smile I have always had...nothing, not even cancer, can take that smile away from me!

Another thing, a lot of people have been sweetly asking for my address. Since this blog is public I don't feel comfortable posting on here, but if you'd like my address please just send me an email at swielgos@slu.edu and I'll send it to you! Just being cautious with a little "stranger danger." ;)

I am so blessed to have such amazing family and friends around me. I've been feeling up to more visitors recently, and it's been absolutely wonderful to finally see my friends again! I'm putting some pictures below so you can all see how truly blessed I am! :)

As always, tons and tons of love to all of you and THANK YOU for the prayers and support. I feel your prayers and care every day, and it makes me stronger and brighter! <3

Love,

Sarah


Here's a picture of when my little brother and sister came to visit me! This is us watching How to Train Your Dragon :)

Here's my friends Julia and Mary who came to visit! Such an awesome surprise and SO nice to have our girl talk as if we were sitting at a Starbucks rather than my hospital room

This is me with one of the pet therapy dogs that come to see us every Wednesday!! It's definitely the BEST day of the week!

Here on the peds (pediatric) floor, we also had a really awesome volunteer who did henna tattoos on our feet! She was actually a leukemia survivor who was also treated here and wanted to come back now that she's in remission to hang out with others who are going through what she did. It was amazing to get to talk with her and learn about her journey, and I LOVE my henna!! Henna is an Indian tradition and, don't worry, it's only temporary! :)

<3 <3 <3

2 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    I continue to be amazed by your strong spirit and optimism. You're such a beautiful, inspiring girl. You are in our prayers here at SLU!

    Much love,

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are feeling better! We think of you every day!

    ReplyDelete